BioWare's next game is Command & Conquer Generals 2
One of the big VGA reveals managed to answer two big questions that have been on the minds of those within the EA fandom. What is next big BioWare project? And what will the new Command & Conquer game be? It turns out that BioWare's next game is in fact Command & Conquer Generals 2 (which doesn't actually use any of the names featured in the previously filed C&C domain names).
Like every other reveal made during the show, it had a trailer a to go along with it, although this one is only contains 27 seconds of things getting blown up. But it looks pretty thanks to the Frostbite 2 engine.
IGN managed to learn a few more things about the game through an email interview with BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka and executive producer Jon Van Caneghem. The interview is rather long, so I'll just cover the more important aspects in bullet point form and if you want to learn more, please click the source link below.
- BioWare decided to work on Generals 2 because the original was the most popular/highest selling entry in the Command & Conquer franchise, and it has been highly requested by the fans for quite some time now.
- The gameplay will bring the franchise back to its more strategic RTS roots, although there will be some new elements thrown in as well to keep things fresh.
- The game takes place 10 years after the original. The world is at peace, until a large scale terrorist attack takes out most of the world's leaders, resulting in another massive war.
- There will be three factions in the game. The EU, the GLA, and a faction that BioWare wishes to keep a secret for the time being.
- The Frostbite 2 engine will help create a more cinematic/emotionally engaging experience and allow the player to control their massive armies through a fully destructible battleground.
- BioWare is working hard to make both the single player and miltiplayer experiences as rich and rewarding as possible.
- In short, the developer is looking to make an innovative, fast paced, action packed, strategy based RTS that will have the same emotionally engaging storytelling that BioWare is known for.
Oh and I also have a couple of screenshots for you lovely g1s as well, which I discovered on Destructoid.
Command & Conquer Generals 2 will launch exclusively on the PC sometime in 2013.