Capcom discusses Rockman Xover's gameplay features with Famitsu
Ah yes, Rockman Xover. The big 25th Anniversary iOS title for the Mega Man franchise that will bring all of the established Mega Men from each individual series together, hasn’t exactly made the best impression with fans of the Blue Bomber, well Blue Bombers in this case.
- Kalinka Cossack (daughter of Dr. Cossack) will act as the game’s navigator, offering the player helpful hints and operating the game’s item shop. An interesting thing to note is that she is now 14 instead of 9, so if this game is indeed canon, it would take place 5 years after Mega Man 4. So Rock meets Volnutt, X, and all the rest in the year 20XXV?
- You will be able to choose the order in which you complete each mission. Which should have been pretty obvious when you think about it.
- If you choose to use the Auto Play option, you will not be able to collect the items and upgrades that are in each level.
- The game will implement a Battle Memory Card System, reminiscent of the Battle Chip System of the Battle Network series. Each chip will grant OVER-1 (this game’s Mega Man) a special ability that can either unleash a special neutral or elemental attack (fire, ice/water, wood, electric), or give him an HP or defense stat boost and in true Mega Man fashion, certain enemies will be weak against certain attacks. However, OVER-1 only has a limited amount of storage space, so he can only hold so many cards at a time.
- There will be a total of five additional armor options for OVER-1, which can be unlocked by collecting different parts throughout the game. These suits of armor will each grant OVER-1 some unique abilities, as well as increase his storage space. The only two suits to be revealed were the OVER-2 and OVER-3 options. OVER-2 grants you 6 extra slots for Battle Memory and a boost in attack power. OVER-3’s details weren’t discussed but given his rather large shield, I think it’s safe to say that this armor will boost your Reploid’s defense a smidge.
- Special “Map Parts” can also be found within in the game and once a particular map is completed, players will be given the option to challenge a Master Boss, which is like a standard boss fight except you can win better Memory Cards and items with each victory… and the difficulty is amped up. Oh and you can also summon your friends to lend a hand as well and share your bounty. But the winnings are divided based on the performance of each character, so it’s not guaranteed to be an even split.
- Team Battle Mode allows players to team up and take on a unique set of bosses, with the goal being to take out the boss before it can escape. This can be played competitively as well, with teams of two competing to see who can defeat the boss first.
- The release date is currently unknown but given the fact that Famitsu will be giving away exclusive Memory Cards (which work in-game) with a December 17 expiry date, it’s safe to say Rockman Xover will launch in Japan before December 17. Barring some unforeseeable delay of course.
So they don't listen to the opinions of gamers who know better and begged on hands and knees for legends 3, but then they decide to release something they think will do better by their own opinion? They just trying to be cheap and release it to IOS and not give it the money and attention it deserves I guess. Thanks crapcom for the mega man scraps. I guess a cheap, crappy playing ios version is better than a full fledged actual fun adventure. This is what he gets after 20 years. Too lazy to even make playing mechanics for the game and instead just went made a simple auto-runner. AUTO-RUNNER TO MEGA MAN? I give up with these bastards and mega man. his time has come and went.
WOAH you're right!
As far as the design of Xover goes, he looks really cool! But I'm still not sold on the game yet. :/
How is this type of game not easy to control on iPhone? It's not like it's a platformer or anything, all you do is jump and shoot at enemies while Over-1 runs automatically during the levels and the boss fights are turn based. A game that's as uninvolving as this is perfect for phones.
Novel ideas, but still not enough Capcom.
Why is THIS the title that's coming through, yet MM Universe and MM Legends 3 were cancelled? I'm starting to feel the same way about Mega Man as Spoony does about Ultima. It's only gonna be a matter of time before Capcom destroys my favorite video game franchise.
Looks like the only descent thing that will come from megaman's 25th anniversary is the arrange albums...hopefully
And most all of this will more than likely be over-ridden by the what is to be guaranteed blatantly obnoxious item shop. They probably will refuse to say what will be sold in it until the game is released, but I'm willing to bet you'll probably see booster parks for these "Cards", which gives you random cards that will probably (I.E most likely) be stronger than a lot of the crap the bosses give, if not outright just giving you them.
Also, where the hell is Mega Man then if this game is within the timeline? Unless Over-1 is a Cossack-made Reploid, I don't see much of a reason for this. Though to be fair, I see no reason why this game is being made in the first place besides so Capcom can go "See this you whiny twats, we're making mega man, now buy our IOS game and shut the f%^& up, and while you're at it you better pay hard in our cash shop, otherwise Mega Man might have to go out back for a bit".
Hell, the cash shop is the only reason this game hasn't been canned.
i give up. all my hopes for megaman has died and it'll never come back. a game where i can make my level and my megaman got canned because “some bad gameplay”, a game where the fans were begging for the last decade canned because we didn’t begged enough , a game where many gamer can play as their favorite megaman character and becoming the character themselves got canned because i guess 3rd time is the charm but this where hated by many (fans and critics alike), can’t make my megaman other than changing colors and a shield and can’t play and becoming my favorite megaman character is a okay? NO, i won’t let that go.
No no no no...........just stop Capcom
Or let's go with the more plausible canon instead of the cartoon now shall we? Megaman meets his future self in Megaman 2 on Game Boy under the name of Quint after that Dr. Wily had traveled to the future, captured Megaman and reprogrammed him.
Seriously; Capcom SHOULD release it on actual consoles. At the very least, the Nintendo eShop, to at least try to make up for canceling MML3.
I, too, like OVER-1's design (despite it being nearly identical to one of X's armors in Mega Man X8 IMO), and the gameplay design actually looks interesting.
As much as we all hate Crapcpom now (yep, I'm combining their new nickname and their misspelling in that RE trailer), I know that deep down, they're slowly, but surely, recovering. I mean, sure, there's on-disc DLC in RE6, but at least it's free, and all future DLC will be downloadable.
Therefore, I'll give this game a chance, if it's free. If it plays like shit (or if I hear everyone saying that if I don't get the game) then I think there's No Hope Left (yes, from RE6) for Mega Man.
Hell, I've been doing the stories/blog posts revolving around the game here on SA, but I probably never would've bothered to find any gameplay information until now. Why? 'Cause it looks like it'll play like shit.
Uh, no. It would be worse, unless they did a major graphical overhaul and added Trophies.
If anything, this should be on the Vita PS Store and 3DS eShop.
now it makes me think why did they name him that lol. hmm..... crapcom? still, he is the dopest looking mega man I ever seen. I'm gonna put this in the same category as mega man soccer and that mega man racing game, it's just another one of crapcom's horrible experiments gone wrong (tho I aint gonna lie, I loved MM soccer back when it first came out. Fond memories of childhood from the 90's.....)
i'm not settling for less. the game play features did sound aight, but when i put it into perspective, blah, mega man is dead with this game. I do however LOVE OVER-1's design, and even the name sounds cool. But like the name, the series is OVER
great job crapcom, you did it again to one of your much beloved series (*cough* breath of fire *cough* original resident evil *cough*)
"Kalinka Cossack (daughter of Dr. Cossack) will act as the game’s navigator, offering the player helpful hints and operating the game’s item shop. An interesting thing to note is that she is now 14 instead of 9, so if this game is indeed cannon, it would take place 5 years after Mega Man 4. So Rock meets Volnutt, X, and all the rest in the year 20XXV?"
As farfetched as this sounds especially if it ends up being canon, this isn't the first time Classic Mega Man met someone from the future. Although not canon to the Megaverse was the classic Mega Man Cartoon series from the 90s when Protoman served Dr.Wily in that Universe. In said series that version of Mega Man met his Future Self Mega Man X who came back in time to stop Spark Mandrill and Vile
I'd agree that the new gameplay features are good, but playing this kind of game on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad is not easy to control. Why did they not release this into the console market? Also, it's just a crossover, so I don't think we have to worry about any Mega Man timelines.