Ex-Rare Staff Gauging Interest in a Spiritual Successor to Banjo Tooie.
Ex-Rare staff looking to make a new platforming IP in the style of the Banjo series.
The Banjo Kazooie series is one of the most beloved franchises in videogame history. Many considered it the pinnacle of 3D platformers that outdid the red plumber himself. It only had a sequel and a few spinoffs and was cut short by Microsoft buying Rare, and the results were Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, a game that failed both as a platformer and a racer.
Since then, Microsoft has tightened Rare's leash to the point of choking, putting a cap on everything good they one had and forcing them to make the Kinect Sports series, which made much of the talent quit out of pure disgust.
But where did all that talent go? Well some made other video games for a while, but now they're coming together to form a new development team. Their first project? A spiritual successor to Banjo Tooie. This probably isn't going to be a new Banjo game, since Rare and/or Microsoft are holding it hostage for the rest of time, but any new platforming IP that takes after Banjo is more than welcome.
They've started a twitter page to find out how many people want it by their follower count. So follow their Twitter page and let's make this happen!
Read the article: This isn't Banjo Threeie! It doesn't even have Banjo characters!
You dont know that. Everybody just assumes that. But one should assume that rare was given the same amount of freedom as bungie did. Rare were good at making games on the snes and the nintendo 64. Obviously, they were not good at making anything good before or past that.
But realize that those were all made under time constraints and executive meddling. They all could've been done better if it weren't for the Microsoft buy out.
I would love a new platformer in this era since mario is pretty much the only one.
Hopefully this will become a reality.
That would be a kick right in Micosoft's bits. I would love to see that.
This needs to become a thing. XD
Actually Nintendo only owned 49% of Rare, the founders of the studio owned the other 51% and they sold their shares to Microsoft first (almost sold them to Activision too). Nintendo didn't sell their 49% until after Microsoft got the other 51%. Nintendo reserved the right to make a priority offer for the other half of Rare matching whatever offer another company made; this is why Microsoft bought Rare for about $375 million, they knew that if they bid that high that Nintendo probably would let the company go.
Finally someone agrees with me that Nuts and Bolts isn't bad.
"This game should've been called TIPTUP: Nuts and Bolts, not BANJO-KAZOOIE!!"
I think that:
A) These former Rare employees form a NEW VG Company, B) They start a Kickstarter, C) They use said money from Kickstarter to fund their new-found company, and possibly reacquire the rights to The Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, BattleToads and numerous other franchises (After all, Microsoft sure loves them some money...) and D) Work as a 3rd-Party Developer. That way, we aren't limited to just Nintendo and/or Microsoft...
...Sounds very unlikely, yes, but it's worth a shot, right?
Just so you know Rare didnt sell themselve to Microsoft. Nintendo would not buy back Rare because they felt conker's bad fur day was too mature for them and because it had awful sales. So instead of keeping Rare with them they sold them to Microsoft
i love nuts and bolts. i really do. its honestly my favourite game on the 360. i seriously had nothing but fun from start to finish. but this......this is something i can get behind!
Really Loved these games as a kid.I first met Banjo in Diddy kong racing anyone remember that XD? Then some time later i remember reading in my nintendo power about Banjo Kazooie and was all like WTF ┻━┻︵ヽ(`Д´)ﾉ︵┻━┻ this sounds amazing!? I waited for it to hit stores and then it came out and i was all like RAWR GIMME DA GAME!! after a quick beating for not asking propperly i got what i wanted and Rare did not let me down...Microsoft needs to be destroyed for turning one of my favorite franchises into what it has....Anyhow..They got my support. Fuck microsoft...and capcom.
Surely they can form a new studio under the name "Rareware"? Technically not breaking any laws or copyrights I believe since Rareware became Rare in... I want to say 2003?
Umm, no, I think this is the staff that made Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country, etc.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY JIGGIES!
Jontron quote : "Why would they take a f*cking banjo kazooie game and make it about LEGO CARS !!"
Platformer 2d or 3d I can always enjoy, so sure !!
Are these the same developers that made grabbed by the goulies (bad), Perfect Dark zero (bad) conker live and reloaded (Nobody bought it just like the first time) and Nuts and Bolts (bad).