Fan-Made Timesplitters Game Inbound
As you all probably know, I love me some Timesplitters. When a petition asking Crytek (who currently holds what's left of Free Radical and the Timesplitters IP) to continue the series caught the company's attention, I threw all the weight I could behind it. Now the same group managing the petition has revealed they are also working on a fan project called Timesplitters Rewind.
It will be made using the CryEngine 3 and multiplayer focused, while still retaining the classic Timesplitters look and feel. Pretty much the only image revealed was a hi-res untextured Duckman Drake model.
Now, I'm basing this on the model alone, but I like what I see so far. The most important part in all of this? Crytek has officially given the OK for it, meaning they won't shut it down for infringing on their IP or crap like that.
Features so far (according to Reddit)
- Multiplayer focused
- Bots will be present
- Uses assets from past games, but there will be new content as well
- Will still feel like Timesplitters (Nothing CoD or Battlefield about this one)
- Mod and Custom Content Support
- Probably won't be on consoles, but PS3 and Xbox360 controller support
- Will be completely free, no microtransactions, DLC or anything
- ALL the characters and maps will eventually be added (no word on the soundtrack yet)
- Will be updated regularly until all the content they want is there
- Despite being on the CryEngine 3 they hope to tone it down so more computers can handle it
The project is still in the very early stages, but they have a team of 25 members and growing. I sincerely hope these guys pull it off. This might bring Timesplitters more attention than any petition could hope to bring.
Want to sign the Timesplitters HD Collection petition? Go Here
Want to keep up with the project? Look at their Facebook page here
Do you haz Twitterz? Check them out