The g1s Top 50 PS2 Games Start-Up!
It's been awhile, hasn't it? I mean, anime Dark Side has been posting a lot, but not gaming Dark Side. They are totally different people. If you thought otherwise, you are wrong and dumb and poop. Awhile back, the list of the thirty best NES games, as chosen by all of you, finished up. Now, the NES is a great console and all, but it's not the only one. Among videogame nerds, there's two consoles that constantly come up as the best of the best. The first is the SNES, the golden age of the retro era and a major shift in showing what gaming was able to do, with more complex narratives and much more impressive physics and graphics.
But then you have what many consider to be the golden age of gaming as a whole. The treasure trove of the JRPG genre, the ground for a massive explosion of new IPs, the system nearly every single developer had to support in some way. The Playstation 2 wasn't just the winner of an entire generation, it was a game changer. It held up its dominance gained over Nintendo through the incredible size of its library. There was a game for everyone. First person shooters, role playing, puzzles, parties, competitive online titles, fighting, beat-em up, hack and slash, adventure, action, stealth, sandbox, 2D and 3D platformers, simulation, racing, sports, strategy and so many more. Where on any other console, you'd be lucky to find a few games of your preferred genre that the console didn't focus on, the PS2 was flooded with everything, and the rate of qualities titles was unbelievable. The good memories and masterpieces this thing has brought are endless, so much so that thirty games couldn't do it justice. No, if we're to list the best of the best of the PS2, it has to be fifty. Otherwise, too many amazing games would just end up forgotten. This is really something special, so it deserves all our love.
So, here's how all of you take part.
- 1. Since we have so many choices this time, I will require fifteen games to be nominated from everyone. No order is necessary, that comes later. Just list the fifteen you believe to be the cream of the crop. Also, you can give some thoughts on your entries and they may end up in the final list.
- 2. After three weeks, I'll organize the nominations. Games with only one nomination will be dropped. I'll list all the choices and have you all vote. We'll get to that when we get there.
- 3. Tie-Breaking voting will occur after initial voting, if necessary.
- 4. The final list will be prepared. However, I won't be the only one writing it. I will be looking for writers after tie breaking votes, and each writer will get a randomized final list so the order remains unknown to them. Each writer will pick out the games they want to write about, while I get first pick. I'll organize the final list and give credit to everyone who wrote a piece of the list.
There are some rules you must follow, however.
- #1. Ports are allowed, but keep in mind if said port is good. The PS2 had the most limiting power of the three systems, and a few games suffered for it, like the awful Sonic Heroes version on it. Think hard. If a game on the PS2 was ported to other systems, work that into your thoughts, but don't think too hard. If it came out first on the PS2, it's fair game.
- #2. Just one exception to the last rule; anthologies of then recent games (released roughly in that gen) will not be allowed. Classic game anthologies, however, will be allowed if they have enough extras in them to warrant a nomination, or if they have some sort of update to them.
- #3. Only one game per series in your nominations. Spin-off and sub-series games are an exception, like all the different Shin Megami Tensei games of different sub-series.
- #4. You can only nominate five games from the same genre, in order to get some variety on this list. That shouldn't be too restricting. As for cross-genre games, use your best judgment. I won't get too picky over this.
- #5. For special editions of originally on PS2 releases, I'll just combine it with the original version. The differences aren't big enough to make them separate games.
And there ya go! I'll be taking nominations within the comments and on the forums. DO NOT PM ME OR email ME. Thanks in advance.
I'll make my nominations here.
- Persona 4 (RPG)
- Yakuza 2 (Beat-em up)
- Bully (Sandbox)
- Devil May Cry 3 (Hack 'n' slash)
- Zone of the Enders (Mech)
- Okami (Adventure)
- Odin Sphere (RPG)
- Soul Nomad and the World Eaters (Strategy)
- GOD HAND (Beat-em up)
- Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (Strategy)
- Tales of the Abyss (RPG)
- Sly 3: Band of Thieves (Platformer)
- Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal (Platformer)
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Stealth)
- Silent Hill 2 (Horror)
Since I never put my personal thoughts in the list proper, I'll just leave them out and leave it at that. But please, don't be scared to speak up on why you're making your picks. I want to hear it, why you're so passionate. Go on, I'm waiting.
Seeing what has made it into the top 50 I felt almost required to make some kind of effort to balance out the Shadow the Hedgehogs and Guitar Heroes... Top 15, here we go. Devil May Cry 3, Capcom vs SNK 2 (arcade perfect ver on PS2. Best ver.), Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, Okami, Tekken Tag Tournament, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, Shadow of the Colossus, Killer 7, Katamari Damacy, Way of the Samurai 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Disgaea, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven. . . Welp. I can't think of another game from the PS2 I'd put on a top 15 list. Looks like I'm tapped out. I was never super impressed by the PS2 for much other than a fighting game console and that's only because it inherited a lot of the DC's Capcom games. I'd count RE4, but the Gamecube version was vastly superior at the time and now we've got HD versions of RE4 with all of the extra PS2 missions and running much better so imo, RE4 shouldn't be counted. If Darkseld2 has to play each of the nominees before passing final judgement, I wish him luck... Between Shadow the Hedgehog, NFS: Most Wanted (AGAIN better version was obviously next gen 360 or PS3, shouldn't be counted), Burnout, God of War, Crash Bandicoot, and potentially Digimon Rumble Arena?? He's got a lot of miserable games ahead of him...
as a long time lurker on this this site... this is my first post. This seemed to fun to ignore. Some series (like Devil May Cry) are not represented as they are sitting quite uncomfortably on one of my piles of shame. But I digress, here are 15 of my favourite ps2 games.
Final Fantasy XII (RPG) - Dragon Quest VIII (RPG) - Dark Cloud 2 (RPG) - Xenosaga Episode 1 (RPG) - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Sandbox) - Soul Calibur 2 (Fighter) - Silent Hill 3 (Horror) - Resident Evil 4 (Horror) - Shadow of the Colossus (Adventure?) - Beyond Good & Evil (Adventure) - God of War 2 (Action) - Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 (Sports)
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (Fighter) - such an improvement over 4, it should be a sequel.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance (Tactical Stealth Action... !) - Although it will inevitably be included on this list with Snake Eater, it should be noted that this re-release added a new camera system that changed how the game could be played.
ESPN NFL 2K5 (Sports) - I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one to nominate this. All the things I love about RPG's, I love about this game. While the actual football games were a ton of fun, it was all the stuff off the field that makes me smile when I think back on it. Managing/building the perfect team was a science in itself. I could fill a few paragraphs telling you what I loved about this game, but I'll just leave it at that.
My nominations have to be 1) Gta Vice City 2)Shadow of the Colussus 3) Okami 4) Kingdom Hearts 2 5) Jak and Daxter 6) Psychonauts 7)Metal Gear Solid 3 8)Sly 3, honor among thieves 9)God of War 2 10)Ratchet and Clank, up your arsenal 11) Dragon Quest VII 12)Katamari Damacy 13)ICO 14) Killer 7, and 15) Prince of Persia, sands of time. This was incredibly tough, but I thouroghly remember these games very well, and believe that for the most part, they aged spectacularly.
(This is not in any order it's just easier to see the titles, idk how to make an empty lines in the text box) 1)Kingdom Hearts 2 2)persona 3 3)DBZ budokai 3 4)tony hawk underground 2 5)Starwars battle front 2 6)GTA San Adreas 7)Shadow of the Colossus 8)psychonauts 9)Okami 10)Final Fantasy XII 11)Time Splitters 2 12)Medal of Honor: Rising Sun 13)ScarFace: The world is yours 14)Blitz the league 15)Burn out 3
18. Devil May Cry This is one of Capcom's best games in the genre. I simply love everything about it. All the characters are very well done. I like a lot of these monsters especially some of the bosses. A great soundtrack with great level designs. This game must be in your collection of PS2 games.
19. Devil May Cry 3 In my opinion the greatest Devil May Cry game ever. This game totally nails everything the original does. You get some nice boss weapons to help you out. You can keep your save in between all difficulties. You can play around with plenty of costumes. Bloody Palace Mode is very addicting to play. What can I say about this that already haven't been said. This game is simply mind blowing action that keeps bringing you back for more.
20. SoulCalibur II The best SoulCalibur game in the series. In this version you can play as Heihachi Mishima. You get plenty of characters to play as with many levels. Most modes are very addicting to play. The soundtrack is one of the best I heard from a fighting game. You get plenty of unlockables to keep bringing you back. Honestly this is one of my personal fighting games ever.
Devil May Cry 3
Dragon Quest VIII
Armored Core 2
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Soul Calibur III
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner
Kingdom Hearts II
Mega Man X Collection (was either that or the original collection, and I prefer X)
Final Fantasy XII
Legacy of Rain: Defiance
These're all games I consider amongst the best of the best, although to be honest, I had to scroll through the comments to remind myself of what games I'd played that I really liked and simply forgot.
GTA: San Andreas (action) Shadow of The Colossus (adventure) Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (Platformer) MGS 3 (Stealth?) Resident Evil 4 (horror) Timespliters 2 (Shooter) Jak 2 (Platformer/Shooter)
Sly Cooper 2 - Mercenaries - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 - Armored Core 3 - Okami - Rogue Galaxy - Final Fantasy XII - God Hand - Persona 4 - Kingdom Hearts 2 - Katamari Damacy - Metal Gear Solid 2 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Xenosaga Ep. 3 - Zone of the Enders 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Kingdom Hearts 1
War of the Monsters
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Sly 2: Band of Theives
God of War 2
Spartan: Total Warrior
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
Devil May Cry 3 (Action - Hack n Slash)
Final Fantasy X (RPG)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (RPG)
Armored Core 3: Silent Line (Simulation - Mecha)
Persona 4 (RPG)
Spider-man 2 (Action - Adventure)
Warriors Orochi (Action - Beat 'em up)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Fighting - 2D)
Capcom vs SNK: Mark of the Millenium 2001 (Fighting - 2D)
Jak and Daxter (Action - Platformer)
Katamari Damacy (I'm not sure what this goes under)
Need for Speed Underground (Racing)
Shadows of The Colossus (Action - Adventure)
Tekken 4 (Fighter - 3D)
Soul Calibur 2 (Fighting - 3D)
Since most of the games I would nominate are going to get nominated anyway I'll simply nominate one...
Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2 - What I would consider to be one of the last great JRPG dungeon crawlers. The weapon system was so much fun to play with it almost reminded someone of Monster Rancher while the ability to take pictures to create inventions could leave one to waste hours simply photographing everything in sight. Honestly, I'm extremely disappointed Level 5 never released any sort of sequel or HD collection for the PS3. Good graphics, game play, characters, and story.
Haunting Ground (Survival Horror)
Rule of Rose (Survival Horror)
Kingdom Hearts II (Action RPG)
Jak II (Platformer)
Silent Hill 2 (Survival Horror)
Shadow of the Colossus (Action-Adventure)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (Stealth)
Drakengard (Action RPG)
Resident Evil 4 (Survival Horror)
Final Fantasy X (RPG)
Devil May Cry 3 (Hack 'n' Slash)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (Hack 'n' Slash)
Indigo Prophecy (Action-Adventure)
Sly 3: Band of Thieves (Platformer)
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal (Platformer)
1. Kingdom Hearts (RPG)
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Open World Action-Adventure/Sandbox)
3. Final Fantasy X (RPG)
4. Guitar Hero II (Rhythm/Music)
5. Shadow of the Colossus (Action/Adventure)
6. Dirge of Cerberus (Third Person Shooter/RPG)
7. Hot Shots Golf 3 (Sports)
8. Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 (Fighting)
9. Soul Calibur III (Fighting)
10. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (Driving Simulator/Racing)
11. Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies (Combat Flight Simulator)
12. Oni (Action/Beat 'em Up/3rd Person Shooter)
13. Mortal Kombat: Deception (Fighter)
14. Resident Evil 4 (Survival Horror)
15. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Action Adventure/Stealth)
Persona 4 (rpg), simply the best game ever made (3 is also fantastic)
Starwars: battlefront 2 (Third-person shooter), Darth Maul OP!!!
Okami (adventure), Watashi wa kono gemu daisuki ;)
Dead or alive 2 (fighting), Great 3D fighter with good physics (minus all the fan service)
Jak 2 (platformer), pure platforming awesomeness
Ratchet and clank 3 (platformer), like jak 2 but with MORE guns
Maximo (platformer), Ghost and Goblins overlooked jump to 3D (they at least brought back the difficulty)
Digimon: rumble arena 2 (fighting(brawler)) Smash bros X Digimon... Nuf said
GTA: san andreas (sandbox thingy majiger) cause flying a monster truck into a police station is fun
Sly 3: BoT (platformer) Thief, but with animals =D
Eye Toy: Play Sports (Party game) Kinect sports but GOOD, and 7 years earlier
Final fantasy X (rpg) I prefer five but still a solid rpg
MGS2: SoL (stealth) "!"
Rayman revolutions (platformer) SO MUCH BETTER than the original
Burnout 3: takedown (racing), HOLLY SHIT so much content and pure fun
Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden V, Shadow Hearts, Kingdon Hearts 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Cloud 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Onimusha, Splashdown 2, Resident Evil 4, Okami, SSX3, Ico, Prince of Persia
disgaea 2, tales of the abyss, persona 3 fes, odin sphere, final fantasy 12,
okami, shadow of the collosus, metal gear solid 3, resident evil 4, god of war,
street fighter anniversary collection (with super turbo and 3rd strike), NBA Street Volume 2, Katamari Damacy, Garou: Mark of The Wolves, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
rachet and clank : up your arsenal( 3d platformer)
resident evil 4 (tps)
tony hawk pro skater 3 (sports)
star wars :bf2 (tps)
sly 2 band of theives( 3d platformer)
megaman x collection (sidescroller)
dragon ball z budokai 2 (fighter)
marvel ultimate alliance (beat em up)
1 - Dragon Quest VIII, 2 - MGS3, 3 - Marvel vs Capcom 2, 4 - God of War 2, 5 - Okami, 6 - GTA:VC, 7 - Shadow Of The Colossus, 8 - Jak 3, - 9 - Ratchet & Clank (First one), 10 - Final Fantasy X, 11 - Psychonauts, - 12 Star Wars Battlefront II, - 13 - Timesplitters 2, 14 - Valkyrie Profile 2, - 15 - Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Dragonball Z - Budokai 3 FF X-II Ratchet and Clank ( the first one ) Tekken Tag Tournament GTA Vice City NFS : Most Wanted Soul Calibur III Kingdom Hearts 2 DMC 3 FIFA Street 2 God Of War 2 Ape Escape Jak & Dexter Series ( Love them all :D ) ... DAMN IT'S HARD xD Crash Bandicoot : Wrath Of Cortex wasn't bad either Guitar Hero 2 YEAH I MADE IT xD
1) Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex 2) Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 3) Jack and Daxter 4)Starwars Battlefront 2 5) GTA: San Andreas 6) Herdy Gerdy 7) Tony Hawk Underground 2 8) Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner 9) Tekken 5 10) Okami 11) .hack (any of em) 12) Dragon Quest VIII 13) Kingdom Hearts 2 14) Rachet and Clank 15) Shadow the Hedgehog ... whew... Barely made 15... And yes. Kingdom Hearts as game number 13 was on purpose