When I think about Diablo 3's shrine system, I shiver in pain. Where did all the fun shrines from Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 go?
I am sure most of the old-time gamers here have played D1 and D2, but for the new guys here is some basic info:
- Diablo 1 had 25 shrines
- Diablo 2 had 16 shrines
- Diablo 3 has 4!
Not only is the number difference great, but the quality has also gone down. In Diablo 1 you had shrines that did some pretty neat things. They didn't only give buffs like in Diablo 3 but could also give items or did things like repair your weapons.
You also had the following concepts:
- Concealed Shrines - In the later levels of Diablo 1 all shrines had the same name, so you never knew what you were going to get until you actually clicked it.
- Negative Potential - Diablo 1 also had shrines that had a negative side, adding a new twist to the system.
- Multiplayer-only Shrines - Self explanatory.
When I said that Diablo 3 has 4 shrines, I actually meant 2. You see, the Fortune and Experience Shrines slowly fade away as you get to level 60. The Experience Shrine doesn't appear in Inferno as you all know, and the Fortune Shrine has limited use now that they capped Magic Find. If a character has 300 base Magic Find, he will find that the Fortune Shrine will give him no benefit at all.
Of course they could easily fix this problem by:
- Making the Experience Shrines show up in Inferno (they may do this)
- Make the Fortune Shrine work past the MF cap. This is what they did to make Nephalem Valor keep its value, so why not do it on the shrine too?
Fixing the existing shrines is just the tip of the iceberg. What Blizzard really needs to do is add more shrines!
Here are a few ideas I came up with:
- Champion Shrine - Turns the nearest monster into a Champion.
- Treasure Seeker Shrine - Found in dungeons with chests only. Teleports the player to the nearest chest.
- Goblin Shrine - Spawns a random Treasure Goblin.
And on and on...
Do you guys agree with me that Diablo 3 needs more shrines? Leave a comment and share your thoughts!
» Source: http://easydiablo3.com/post/2012/09/12/Diablo-3-Needs-New-Shrines.aspx
» Comments: 8