In the spring of 1989, the gaming landscape was changed forever, as Nintendo launched its revolutionary new handheld system, the Game Boy. This grey wonder brick allowed gamers to take all of their favorite "Nintendo approved" franchises on the go, thanks to its unique line of game cartridges.
While it didn't quite have the same graphical quality as the NES (even though it was technically 8-bit) and could only display two colors (black and yellow), gamers loved it just the same, as its stacked of library of classic titles was more than enough to keep players entertained for what was almost a decade-long run.
In the fall of 1998, the vintage Game Boy had just performed its swan song with the release of a little known game called Pokemon, and fans were looking towards the future of handheld gaming, and with a ton of momentum behind it, Nintendo delivered the Game Boy Color.
While it didn't exactly live up to expectations in terms of graphical advancement, as it failed to measure up to the SNES home console (which by that time was replaced with the N64), or even the SEGA Game Gear (the former rival of its predecessor), but it was great to finally be able to play Game Boy games in color. Not too mention it also had its own selection of exclusive content. The implementation of color and a stellar last run of games, was enough to revitalize the 8-bit Game Boy and keep it running for another five years.
However, just two years shy of becoming discontinued, the Game Boy Color stepped aside to make way for the true successor to Nintendo's handheld throne, the Game Boy Advance.
The GBA first arrived on the gaming scene in 2001 and boy, did it rock some socks! Not only did it surpass the previous Game Boy systems in terms of graphical quality, its 32-bit processor made it the most powerful handheld gaming device to be released up to that point. It was like a double charged Super Nintendo that could fit in pocket (not comfortably though. That was saved for the SP model), and it was amazing!
While the GBA only served as "The Big N's" flagship handheld for three years, it would act as a cheaper alternative to its successor for another four years, during that time, its library continued to grow into what would be among the best in gaming's rich history. In 2008, the Game Boy Advance was put to rest and the Game Boy name was put into retirement, after 19 years of service and over 200 million units sold between three consoles.
Tonight, in honor of its 25th Anniversary, we will celebrate the greatness of the Game Boy product line, with a playlist of 60 songs spanning across the classic Game Boy, the Game Boy Color, and the Game Boy Advance!
Now given how vastly large these three libraries are, there's a good chance I may have missed some of your favorite games (I know I missed a few of mine) but I think I've managed to compile a great list that truly captures the greatness of each system...at least I hope so.
Anyway...without any further stalling, here's this week's playlist:
- Track 01: Theme A - Tetris
- Track 02: The Muda Kingdom - Super Mario Land (suggested by g1 Top10fortheWin)
- Track 03: Pallet Town - Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow (suggested by g1 PuppetMasterIX)
- Track 04: Main Caves - Metroid II (suggested by g1s Top10fortheWin and Whatthefnu)
- Track 05: Tal Tal Heights - The Lenged of Zelda: Links Awakening (suggested by g1 PuppetMasterIX)
- Track 06: Star Maze - Super Mario Land 2 (suggested by g1 KornictheWedgehog)
- Track 07: Green Greens - Kirby's Dream Land
- Track 08: Gangplank Galleon II - Donkey Kong Land 2
- Track 09: Underworld Tower - Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
- Track 10: Main Theme - Killer Instinct (suggested by g1 King Meatball 1)
- Track 11: Wily's Castle - Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge
- Track 12: Saturn's Theme - Mega Man V (suggested by g1 Falcovsleon20)
- Track 13: New Messiah (Crystal Castle) - Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
- Track 14: Title Theme - RoboCop (suggested by g1 MegaSilverX1)
- Track 15: Rick the Hamster - Kirby's Dream Land 2
- Track 16: Stage Theme IX - Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
- Track 17: America - Double Dragon 3
- Track 18: Big City - Donkey Kong 94
- Track 19: Rising Sun - Final Fantasy Adventure
- Track 20: Scotland - DuckTales 2
- Track 21: Opening Sequence - The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (suggested by g1 Whatthefnu)
- Track 22: Battle! Champion Lance - Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal (suggested by g1 QuartrGuy)
- Track 23: Wild Denjuu Battle - Keitai Denjuu Telefang (suggested by g1 DaiSanSei)
- Track 24: Stop that Train! - Wario Land II (suggested by g1 Top10fortheWin)
- Track 25: King Dedede - Kirby: Tilt 'n' Tumble
- Track 26: Confession - Lufia: The Legend Returns
- Track 27: Armored Armadillo - Mega Man Xtreme
- Track 28: Burning Village - Shantae (suggested by g1 QuartrGuy)
- Track 29: Wind - Pocket Bomberman
- Track 30: Let's go to Town - Harvest Moon
- Track 31: Character Select - Grand Theft Auto 2
- Track 32: Club Leader Duel - Pokemon: The Trading Card Game
- Track 33: Band Land - Rayman
- Track 34: Intro - Mr. Driller
- Track 35: Wire Sponge - Mega Man Xtreme 2
- Track 36: Pelagic II - Perfect Dark
- Track 37: Magic Control - Oddworld Adventures II
- Track 38: Awakening - Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
- Track 39: Escape - Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
- Track 40: You Vs. Boo - Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
- Track 41: CO Super Power - Advanced Wars 2 (suggested by g1 Whatthefnu)
- Track 42: Graceful Assassin - Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (suggested by g1 LordoftheDerp)
- Track 43: Slateport City - Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald (suggested by g1 Top10fortheWin)
- Track 44: Water World - Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA) (suggested by g1 MegaSilverX1)
- Track 45: Cannon Ball - Mega Man Zero 3 (suggested by g1 QuartrGuy)
- Track 46: Emerald Beach - Sonic Battle (suggested by g1 XaviortheSavior)
- Track 47: Shy Guy Beach / Cheep-Cheep Island - Mario Kart Advance
- Track 48: Minish Woods - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (suggested by g1 The Trist)
- Track 49: Girl of the Plains (Lyn's Theme) - Fire Emblem (suggested by g1 XaviortheSavior)
- Track 50: Come On! - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Track 51: Fighting Dark Mind in the Sky - Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
- Track 52: Bianca City - F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
- Track 53: Sector 3 (PYR) - Metroid Fusion
- Track 54: Zangief's Theme - Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival (suggested by g1 King Meatball 1)
- Track 55: Running Through the Cyber World - Mega Man Battle Network (suggested by g1 DaiSanSei)
- Track 56: Chaos Angel (Act 3) - Sonic Advance 3 (suggested by g1 The Trist)
- Track 57: The Robot Museum - Mega Man & Bass
- Track 58: Awake - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (suggested by g1 Alucard150)
- Track 59: Pursuit ~ Caught - Gyakuten Saiban 3 (GBA) (suggested by g1 The Leader of the Gobforsaken)
- Track 60: Isaac's Theme - Golden Sun (suggested by Simon Neilson)
The tracing of Nintendo's storied handheld lineage will continue next week, with a musical tribute to the modern Dual Screen product line. So be sure to list off some tunes from your favorite DS, DSiWare, 3DS, and eShop titles in the comments below or tweet them to me @Ryan_ConwaySA, and I'll add them to the list.
Until next week, be sure to stock up on those AA's g1s!
» Comments: 13