Smiffleupagus' Top Ten Favorite Anime Openings
This is a list of my favorite anime openings. Be quick to note that these are based primarly on my opinion on things such as music, animation, and just general preference. Feel free to agree or disagree!
Let's get this started!
10 ) Baka and Test- Perfect-Area Complete!- Alright, I know, I know, I’m showing my softer side here (which I don’t like to do by the way), but there’s something about this opening I really like. You have all these colors coming at you, bam! You have some catchy pop music, pow! You also get a little after image trail of each character appropriately timed with the music. I wouldn’t really consider this one of my absolute favorite anime, but I really did enjoy the opening a lot. Go ahead disagree with me on this one, I know you want to!
9) Yu Yu Hakusho- Smile Bomb- This may seem like an odd choice. I mean the song is kind of corny, and the tone doesn’t appear to fit the darker mood of the overall show. That being said I enjoy it, the lyrics actually do go along with the story of the show, and it does a good job of matching animation sequences. I’ll be honest this one is more of a personal preference thing with me, but hey its my list so, I’ll do what I want.
8) Trigun- This is one of those high energy openings. There is plenty of guitar goodness to be had, accompanied by a few good placed " Oh’s" in there. You really do feel like you are ready to watch an anime packed with action after this opening! I have to admit it is a fitting sound for a sci-fi western setting. Not much more can be said other than, stylized shots of pistols! Yeah!
7) Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple- Be Strong- Now this one I find very inspirational, as well as fitting with the overall meaning and point behind the plot of the show. The song just does wonders to connect you with the main character. You also get some pretty awesome scenes of the masters showing off their abilities, which you don’t get to see all too much of in the show. Couple that with some training montages, and some shost of the villains; and you have yourself a great overall opening.
6) Dragon Ball Z- Rock the Dragon- I don’t know why I should even explain this one. This is pure nostalgia, and yes I like the American opening dang it. That music is beastly. The lyrics, well they just repeat themselves but that doesn’t matter it’s all about the sweet riffs and the fight scenes in this one!
5) School Rumble- Scramble- Let’s take another trip to my soft side! Fine I love School Rumble, so sue me. The opening theme Scramble does a lot to really accentuate the confusion of youth, love, and friendships; and that is what the series is really all about; confusion. I especially like the number of shots, of different things spinning in circles, because ya know, sometimes thing just seem to spin out of your control, and the world revolves even if you don’t have things figured out for yourself. Perhaps, I am reading too much into this one, but I like to think that I’m not.
4) Bleach- After Dark- I’ll admit that I do like Bleach, it may have dragged on for a little too long, but I still enjoyed most of it. There were so many different openings for this series, a few were really good. However, I have to give my nod to After Dark. One, its Asian Kung Fu Generation, so its got that going for it; and two, it has some terrific sequences in it. I really just love the whole black and white sequence of Ichigo charging head strong to fight Aisen. There are other great parts to; Ichigo running in the desert alone, with the other slowly appear running with him. It’s the little things people! The little things!
3) Gundam Wing- Just Communication- This is one that I always found visually striking as well as dramatic. Let’s be honest here you have to be a little dramatic if you are going to open a show that at its core isn’t really about mobile suits, but the double sided coin that is war and peace. I really, really like the shots of the gundams standing amongst the destruction that they just wrought, seeming to silently ponder the meanings and consequences of their actions. All of this is topped off with a battle between Wing and Tallgeese. Its good, real good.
2) Rurouni Kenshin- ½ - I do not keep it a secret that I absolutely love Rurouni Kenshin. That being said, I have always noticed that when it comes to the first opening (Dub and original versions) that people either love it or hate it. However, I am going to make the statement that opening 2( titled ½) is far superior. The opening's animation roll is superb, the song does a wonderful job of capturing the sober tone of the events currently taking place in the show, and I love how each important character gets some screen time. I really think you get an idea for the conflict that is going on here, not between protagonists and antagonists, but between the range of emotions that the characters are going through. I honestly have no complaints about this opening.
1) Cowboy Bebop Tank- I don’t really think I have to say too much about this one. I mean its Cowboy Bebop for crying out loud. Smooth, stylish and sleek; this opening just oozes what the show is about. The series is very music oriented and it really needed to have a strong opening to get that message across. Regardless on what you think of the series, I think you can respect anyone’s opinion to put this opening on their list. From the very moment you see Spike’s silhouette lighting up a cigarette, you know things are about to get epic. The opening animation has a very retro feel to it that adds to the cool factor. There is just so much cool packed in there!http://youtu.be/mf5W24fdsy0