Smiffleupagus' Top Ten Town Themes
My personal favorite top ten town themes in gaming! Which themes make my cut? Find out here!
I felt like it was time for me to do another top ten and here it is, my top ten favorite town themes in gaming. Now before I start, yeah there are quite a few RPG's in the list. Why you may ask? Let's be honest RPG's have the most prevelent usage of town themes so it just feels like they were not only easier to pull options from, but had the more memorable ones. Also, let's keep in mind that the one per franchise rule is in effect., if it weren't there would have been some insanely hard choses for me to make. Well let's get started shall we!
10) Megaman Legends- Town- Let’s start this one off with an odd one. Now do I like Mega Man Legends? Yes. With that being said, known for its music it isn’t. There probably will not be another time that you will see Legends on a list I make about music. I think what really sells this one for me is its believability. I hear this and think I could totally see that music playing in like a mall or something like that. Although, I don’t hold the series in high regards music wise, I will have to give some props where it is due.
9) Secret of Mana- Color of the Summer Sky- This is definitely a feel good tune. It is almost impossible to hear this playing and be sad. While not contained to a single town in the game, the music appears in a few throughout the game. It has such an upbeatness about it. There really isn’t a whole lot to say about this one other than, I just had to use upbeatness (a made up word) to describe it. Enjoy!
8) Harvest Moon Back to Nature- Alright I admit it, I’m a fan of Harvest Moon (the older ones anyway). While Harvest Moon 64 is my personal favorite, I still have to admit that the town them in Back to Nature is better. It is catch, it reminds you of a laid back little farming town, and its got a little something in it that 64’s town theme just didn’t have. I think what really pushes this one into my attention is just how well it fits the mood and style of the game, and helps you to gain that connection to the town and its people that you really need in order to enjoy a Harvest Moon game. In short, it’s a good tune.
7) Final Fantasy IX- Dali Village- If I am a sucker for two things, those things would have to be peaceful, relaxing themes, and Final Fantasy IX. I’ve said it before, and I will say it again IX is my favorite of the series and yes that does have a big influence on me when it comes to choosing favorites from the Final Fantasy series as a whole. With such a big series, with so many towns, and so many themes, I had to boil this one down to just shear unwavering opinion. Holding true to IX’s return to the series fantasy roots, Dali does a great job of giving you that sentimental tone that I am so fond of. Thinking about this theme and this game, I am really sad to see the route that the series has started to go down lately. Sigh, the good old days!
6) RPG- Rose Town- Ah, here’s one I go back and forth on constantly. Rose Town or Seaside Town, Seaside Town or Rose Town. It just so happens that I am siding with Rose Town this time. Every time you go into Rose Town you will feel like they are stuck in the 40’s or 50’s with their town’s oldies typed theme. Oh and there it is, it is now stuck in my head! This one is very contagious listen, at your own risk!
5) Pokemon- Pallet Town- I started this one out with a toss up between the music first heard in Viridian City and Pallet Town. While you hear the music from Viridian in a few other cities throughout the game, there is only one Pallet Town. This one is a mood setter. This one is nostalgia at work! What person that picked up the original Red or Blue doesn’t remember starting their epic journey in the sleepy little town of Pallet? No one, that’s who.
4) Earthbound- Twoson- This was a tough game to choose just one town theme to represent it. Almost all the towns have great themes; Fourside, Threed, Onett, and Winters are all some of my favorites in the game. However, I finally settled on Twoson. It has all the musical elements that have sent the Earthbound soundtrack into a classic status. It has that blend of innocence and quirkiness that makes this game so unique. From the nice soft intro, to the awesome break down in the middle, Twoson deserves its place on this list.
3)Dragon Quest 8- Peaceful Town- Yes I slipped one in from Dragon Quest 8. This theme starts out with a bang, and proceeds to gentle settle you in to that peaceful mood that a lot of town themes are know to lure you into. The music here is just so well put together from an instrumental point of view. As a matter of fact the only thing really holding this one back on my list is that it lacks a certain amount of nostalgia for most people probably. Don’t worry Dragon Quest 8, you will always have a specialist place in my heart!
2) Corridors of Time- Chrono Trigger- The Kingdom of Zeal, most advanced magical civilization in Chorno Trigger. I feel in love with this part of the game from the very first time I played through it. The place is just so mysterious and cool. With Corridors of Time playing as your background music, you really get that sense of mystery and illusion in the air. While not particularly menacing on its surface, music definitely sets up the feeling that there might be more to Zeal than its grandiose exterior would leave a group of time travelers to believe.
1)Kakariko Village- Legend of Zelda- There were many town themes in the Zelda series that I considered; Zelda 2’s Town Theme, Majora’s Mask Clock Town (which I love by the way), Hyrule Castle Town from Ocarina, and even Mabe Village from Link’s Awakening. When all was said and done though, it is impossible for me to chose anything but Kakariko Village. I mean if you grew up with this series or are just a new fan to the series, then you will instantly know this one as soon as the intro hits. Now I don’t really care which version is your favorite or the one you prefer, to me they are all awesome, and a great example of how the series draws from its history. I feel that Kakariko is deserving of the number one spot. If you are going to settle on just one town theme, then I think most people would be willing to agree that Kakariko is at least a respectable decision.
Well that about wraps it up for me this time. Be sure to let me know what some of your favorites are in the comments below. Also, be sure to check my past blogs if you enjoyed this one!
» Tagged In: #chrono trigger, #Dragon Quest, #Dragon Warrior, #earthbound, #Final Fantasy, #game, #Harvest Moon, #JRPG, #Legend of Zelda, #Lists, #Mario, #Mega Man, #mother 2, #Music, #N64, #Ness, #Nintendo, #Playstation, #Pokemon, #rpg, #Secret of Mana, #snes, #Sony, #Super Mario, #Themes, #top 10, #Top Ten, #town, #video game, #Village