While Nintendo has given us some great male protagonists, where would they be without a cast of even greater girls/ women to stand beside them? This list recounts the best of the best among Nintendo's rather large arsenal of female characters based on how awesome they are.
Let's face it. Nintendo is a pretty sexist company. After all, they were the first game developers to have a damsel in distress which has led to the infamous women-peril situation us gamers have become so accustomed to. Yet even though Nintendo doesn't always treat their ladies with the proper respect, they still have some great ones. Hence the purpose of this list: to recount the top ten female characters in Nintendo's cornucopia of franchises.
The criteria for this list is simple:
1. Entries can only be from NINTENDO franchises (which means no Lara Croft or Alex Vance)
2. The entries on this list are only from franchises I've played: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, and other more miniscule Nintendo franchises.
3. I'm by no means claiming my opinion to be the last word. If your favorite Nintendo lady isn't on this list, then leave a polite comment or make you own list or just SHUT UP!
And with that out of the way, let's get started
Starting the list with a rather obscure character, Nana (of 1985's NES Ice Climbers fame) was probably one of the first playable characters in gaming (aside from Ms. Pac Man), coming before even Peach or Samus. As impressive as that is, the reason why Nana is only at number 10 is because she has to put up with her sexist climbing buddy, Popo. Popo is a total doucebag. In the original Ice Climbers, player one would play as Popo, while Nana was controlled by the game's computer or player 2 and I can image how many angry younger brothers were complaining "No fair! I have to play as the girl!" No respect. But it only gets worse. Nana and Popo appear in Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl and in both of those titles, (unless the player changes it) you automatically control Popo if you play as the Ice Climbers with Nana following his every move. And if Nana dies, then Popo is just fine and can keep on going. Yeah. Nintendo, you’re so sexist.
Note: I have never actually played Twilight Princess. But I have watched enough videos on YouTube to know what its about and to know that Midna is a pretty cool character. That and the fact that if I didn't put her on this list I'd have a whole bunch of angry blog readers down my throat. But really, I like Midna. She seems to be a whoole lot better than Navi (heck, a root canal would be better than Navi). Midna is super cute (or at least I think so) even without the Fused Shadow on her head and her sense of humor is awesome. The friendship/romance between her and Link's is much less serious than that of Link and Saria's but who really cares? Love connections, especially in the Zelda series are just plain confusing.
In the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Link is quite the little heartbreaker. Throughout the duration of the game, he has four girls with major crushes on him: Zelda, Malon, Ruto, and Saria. From the minute I met Saria in Ocarina of Time I thought she was so great. At the time I had just thought she was some unimportant NPC, but from Link and Saria's bittersweet farewell on the bridge where she gives him the Fairy Ocarina to their final sad meeting seven years in the future, I knew that Saria was one of the best characters in the entire game. And she's also super helpful! Aside from the huge fact that she is the Forest Sage and that she gives you the Forest Medallion, her Ocarina song, appropriately titled "Saria's Song" is not only catchy, but it allows Saria to give you hints from anywhere. And I'd much rather take hints from Saria then from little Miss "HEY LISTEN!!"
Dixie Kong first appeared in Donkey Kong Country 2, but that isn't her claim to fame. The real reason why she's on this list is that she had her own game (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!) before even Peach got her own game. Not to mention that its a great game. Dixie Kong has since been regulated to spin off games in both the Donkey Kong and Mario series, but we can all remember this ape chick for her ability to use her hair as a weapon. Can you do that? Didn't think so.
3. Birdo (Mario series)- crossing dressing reptile-thing with a bow. I don't really know what she/he/it is, all I know is Birdo is super annoying to play against in Mario Party games.
2. Tippi (Super Paper Mario)-Tippi is like the Mario version of Navi. She starts the game off as robotic almost, but by the end she's moody and hysterical (what Nintendo thinks women act like) all because of some tragic love situation she had with the game's main villian before she lost her memory. I don't know, Super Paper Mario's story is way too complicated and dark to really take it seriously. Which is why Tippi gets on my nerves so much.
1. Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)-Why do partners always have to be so annoying? Anyway, anyone who knows anything about anything at all knows that Navi is extremely annoying. Aside from her non stop rants of HEY , LISTEN, LOOK OUT, and LOOK!, she pretty much is the only thing bad about Ocarina of Time (aside from the water temple).
And now, a quick recap:
10. P2 Nana
8. "Link... I... See you later...." Midna
7. Dixie 90's swagger Kong
6. Hi! I'm Daisy!
5. Goombella, the genuis Goomba
4. "Your princess is in another castle" Peach
3. Epic star baby momma Rosalina
2. Princess Zelda/ Ninja Shiek/ Captain Tetra
AND NOW, THE MOMENT WE"VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR:
» Comments: 7